BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 9, 2010

New Sneakers and Other Things

Today was the first day that all of the new teachers got to meet the folks returning for another year at SFS. We all congregated for breakfast and the name game began again (just when I was starting to nail down the names of all the newbies). Following breakfast, we all congregated in Robb Hall and began our time together with some awesome worship. It reminded me how important faith is in this journey and that all of this is possible because this is where God wanted me to be. Worship was followed by a formal introduction of all the new staff where everyone joined in delivering a blessing upon us--what an unreal experience that you certainly would not see in a public school. You can tell that people here care about each other and they want to see everyone succeed. In the afternoon, the entire high school staff got together for a get to know you/good to see you again game and announcements.

Although I was pretty exhausted when the meetings ended, I still decided to join the group going to Hongje to explore the open market. We took the bus (my first time) to a neighborhood not far from Yonhi Dong. I've been to a street market in Paris, but this was a bit different. Take a look at what you can get at a market in Seoul...

Something smells fishy here...

Need an onion??

Lovely produce

Escargot? No thank you!

How about a squirmy eel or a live turtle that makes kissing faces?

In case you're wondering, I only purchased a bit of fruit on this trip. Until my shipment arrives there isn't much use trying to cook.

As we left the market I caught sight of an Asics shoe store--God answered my prayers! From day one my sneakers have been uncomfortable and seem to have shrunk in size (or perhaps my feet have swelled and grown). Either way, I needed a new pair desperately. Jo was nice enough to accompany me and I got my first lesson about American feet in Korean sizes. The largest size they sell for women is 8.5. Bummer. Solution!! Men's shoes come in the equivalent of a women's 9. Hallelujah! A hundred or so dollars later, I have a new pair of Asics and my feet can once again breathe.

I decided not to let the opportunity to break in my new shoes go to waste, so after returning from the market I struck out on my own in Yonhi Dong. My mission...stationary store (back in the states that translates to "office supply store"). Instead, I detoured to the Paris Baguette cafe for some bread and pastries, then made my way back to shop for a few school supplies. It was a long hot walk and I'm certain I sweated off at least a pound or two, but well worth the effort. I feel as though I am starting to assimilate into my new home already. On our cab ride back to campus from the market, Jo and I were talking about people's perceptions about living overseas. She commented that many of their friends and relatives would say, "I don't know how you do it (living in foreign countries)". Although the transition certainly isn't simple, there is an easy answer...you just do! You get out there and learn from the people--if you try hard enough and are patient, you can find kind, helpful folks almost anywhere. Right now I can truly say I'm glad I am doing this because without trying new things it is impossible to grow. I may regret saying this, but bring on the growth opportunities!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here...