BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Travel on the Brain

During spring break 2009 I met my mom, aunt Duty and cousins Kim and Bri in Paris for the most incredible week of sightseeing, eating, shopping, and hanging out.  With my next European adventures rapidly approaching I thought it was finally time to finish up my photo book.  As I turn each page and look at the photos I can vividly remember the sights and sounds of each setting.  I imagine sitting at an outdoor table at the fun little creperie I discovered on my first trip to Paris, watching kids playing and passersby near the Stravinsky Fountain and modern art museum, I can hear the street performer up on Montmartre singing American pop songs, and I remember the feelings of safety and comfort I experienced as I spent time with my family members each evening hanging out at our adorable apartment.  I am reminded of the reasons I travel...to experience differences, to get out of my comfort zone, to make connections and feel linked to the people and places that surround me.  Though my body doesn't always agree, I love the life of a traveler but I want to spend more than a day or two in a new place.  This is why I decided to move abroad--to immerse myself in an environment that is different, challenging, and sometimes uncomfortable.  


At the moment mom and I are making plans for our trip to Venice this spring break.  We are hoping to spend five days of our stay creating mosaic art in a glass studio--we are willing to sacrifice loads of sightseeing time for a more authentic experience in the city.  And I have decided that I'm going to eat it up...I mean that literally and figuratively.  I've been to Italy twice, and I'm ready for some real Italian food!  Yes, this might mean I will pay dearly every day for my choices, but I'm tired of playing it safe all the time.  Plus, I've made myself a goal to try as many types of gelato as there are days in our trip!


After spring break I am looking forward to the possibility of attending a workshop in Vietnam.  The two day class takes place in Ho-Chi-Minh City and it's timing couldn't be better.  The class falls on the Monday and Tuesday after Easter, which gives us some time prior to the class to sightsee.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the course gets confirmed soon!


This summer I will be heading out on my first ever solo travel excursion to England.  Prior to my Oxford course on Jane Austen I will be spending four or five days in London entirely on my own.  I don't know if I'll feel lonely or if the entire experience will be freeing since I don't have to answer to anyone's agenda but mine.  More to come as these plans take shape in the coming months.  


Can you tell I've got travel on the brain?!  Living in an environment where you are surrounded by veteran globetrotters, I think it's almost impossible not to have your senses flooded with the possibilities this amazing planet holds.  With midnight approaching it is time to quiet my frenetic brain activities and leave you with my finished photo book from Paris and the inspiration for tonight's recollections.  Bonne nuit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here...