BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Open Top Buses and New Perspectives


Today marked the fourth day of my solo journey and I’m still alive!  I took a good chunk of time this morning to work on more homework and map out my day a bit.  Since the sun appeared to be shining, I decided to stay in London and take one of those open-top, double-decker bus tours.  I picked up the “Original Tour” bus near Piccadilly Circus, which was much crazier than I remember, and set out for an hour trek through the city with the wind in my hair.  I’ve seen all of the main sights before, but it was fun to see them from a new perspective.  Quick thought detour…when I sat down on the seat atop the bus I instinctively rested my purse on the bench.  Apparently another young person about my age thought I was being rude and meant to block off the seat just for myself so she made a small scene of having to sit, GASP!, in an empty seat behind her sisters and decided that she needed to make a comment about “people who think the whole seat belongs to them”.  Usually I just ignore these things, but this time I decided to turn around and say something.  “All you had to do was ask and I would have been happy to move my stuff so you could sit here.”  “Whatever,” she answered under her breath.  I just laughed when another woman asked if the seat was taken and was happy to have the space.  Oh the joys of travel.  
I have this thing about photographing beautiful windows and doors...
The Wellington Arch
Interesting statue from one side...
...and now the other.


Lord Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square.
Trafalgar Square with the fountains in their full glory!
By the time we made it to Trafalgar Square, it was time for a break from the bus.  I made use of my “hop-off” privileges and decided to make a stop at the National Gallery, after visiting Pret-a-Manger for a snack.  In order to reach the gallery you must make your way across Trafalgar Square which is an open area bustling with tourists and locals.  The tourists flock to the four giant lion statues and most can’t help climbing up on one of the large beasts for a photo-op.  I had my chance during my last visit, so I opted to sit near the fountains and enjoy the mayhem as I ate.  Luckily I got to see the fountains in their full glory!  I also eyed a large ship-in-a-bottle sculpture that sits in the back left corner of the square.  I later learned this was a replica of Lord Admiral Nelson’s ship and a tall column fitted with a statue of Lord Nelson overlooks it.  

Once inside the gallery I found there are literally thousands of paintings in the 45+ rooms, so I opted for the 60-minute overview with an audio guide to help me along.  This gallery houses the second largest collection of Italian art in the world as well as a fine collection of art from other European artists, many who are quite well known.  I don’t pretend to be a great art scholar, more an art appreciator, and I found myself wandering happily around the gallery.  The Impressionist style suits my tastes perfectly and I particularly enjoyed seeing more of Monet, Renoir, and van Gogh’s works.  After turning in my audio guide it was back to the bus for the remaining hour of the city tour.  We crossed the river to the South Bank (where I am staying) before returning to Piccadilly Circus.  

A dragon symbolizing an entry point to the 1sq. mile city of London.
Another dragon tells us we're leaving London and entering Westminster.
On my way back to the hotel I chose a new subway station and walked along the river to see what I could find.  I grabbed a quick bite for dinner, took a short nap, then roused myself enough to walk a whole five minutes to Shakespeare’s Globe Theater to see a performance of Much Ado About Nothing.  I have seen the Emma Thompson/Kenneth Branagh version on film as well as attended a performance at the Ashland Shakespeare festival, but neither of those held a candle to what I witnessed tonight.  The layout of the theater is true to its predecessor with standing room only in the area surrounding the stage.  I had pre-purchased a seat on the first floor (that’s really the second story for my American readers) and had a cozy bench seat one row behind the balcony from which to enjoy the show.  
The Gates into the Globe Theater.
A side view.
The Globe in it's entirety.  I entered the theater through the door in the "tower"!
The play itself doesn’t seem like much when you read it, but seeing the story brought to life by a talented, and very funny, group of actors was magical.  Oh, and I got the shock of a lifetime when I quickly recognized the actor playing Leonato was none other than Jeffrey the butler from the television show Fresh Prince of Belair (I bet you’re rapping the theme song right now, aren’t you?).  Though I felt really sick for most of the show, I was still able to appreciate it as one of my favorite experiences in London so far.  I’m not sure if I’ll follow through with my plans to take a day trip out to Windsor tomorrow or not, but either way I’m sure I’ll discover something new and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here...