BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Final Days with the Family!

It amazed me how fast the time with my family went!  On Friday while I worked mom, dad, and Daniel ventured out for the first time on their own.  I had heard about the music market from friends and told Daniel about it.  Being a guitar player always on the lookout for pretty new guitars, Daniel decided he had to see this for himself.  We had Paul circle the location on a map of Insadong and I wrote detailed instructions for catching a taxi and telling the driver where to go.  Thankfully they did manage to make it to the music market and Daniel was in guitar heaven.  It's a good thing his budget is small so he couldn't take home a guitar, but I imagine he'll go back if he visits Seoul again.  Apparently there are just rows and rows of instruments!  After school let out everyone joined me back at school to watch some of the girls and guys volleyball games.  There's nothing better than seeing students doing what they love outside of the classroom!  Dad was pretty impressed with the guys team and decided to start calling their prime hitter "The Hammer", which indeed he is!  As dinner time approached we headed through Yonsei to my favorite little crepes restaurant for some goodness on a plate!
Buckwheat crepe with bacon, potato, and cheese.
Buckwheat crepe with ham, cheese, and egg.
The La Celtique--caramel-apple crepe with vanilla ice cream.
Daniel had to have dessert--fruit and creme crepe with vanilla ice cream.



Before we knew it, the second weekend of their stay had come and it was time to say good-bye to Daniel.  
Bye-bye Daniel... :-(
The obligatory brother/sister shot.
We all walked Daniel down the hill to the airport bus stop on Saturday afternoon to see him off, then mom and I caught a taxi to Dongdaemun fabric market.  Even though I wasn't feeling well, I knew that mom really wanted to see this place since she's an avid sewer and crafter.  We didn't quite end up at the right spot, but nothing a quick ride on the subway couldn't fix!  Once inside the market I took her up to the 5th floor where all of the "goodies" are.  I found some fun fabric for kitchen curtains and mom just took it all in.  Since we went late in the afternoon many of the merchants started closing around 3, so this first trip was just a quick one.  I know she wants to come back and spend more time fabric shopping next trip!  Another taxi ride and we were back in Yonhi dong to do some shopping at the china store.  I had my eye on a set of new dishes (I've been on the lookout since I arrived in Seoul) and mom found a beautiful tea set earlier in the week.  We got a great discount on our purchases and returned home happy shoppers!
Mom amongst the bits and pieces of fabric and notions at the fabric market.
Sunday rolled around and the reality that mom and dad were leaving the next day hit me hard.  While they worked on getting their suitcases packed up and ready for the flight back on Monday I prepared lessons for the upcoming week and cried (this seems to be an involuntary response whenever my family leaves).  That afternoon we took advantage of the change from summer weather to fall, and the beautiful clear day, and headed out for a hike up the mountain behind the school.  I've only hiked the mountain once with Steph but thankfully we managed to make it to the top without too much trouble.  Here's what Seoul looks like from Mt. Ansan...
Proof that mom and dad made it to the top!
A panoramic view of Seoul.
Mount Namsan and Seoul Tower...it looks so close, doesn't it?
The buddhist temple
The long sort of building in the middle of it all is Gyeongbok Palace that we visited earlier in the week.
A little sweaty, but glad to have made the hike!
Dad hiding in the trenches left from the Korean war.
Mom and dad in the pagoda on our way down the hill.
I just came across a few of mom's pictures that I thought I'd add too...

The final stretch up to the top...I wasn't sure we'd all make it!
This gives you an idea of how massive this city is...and it's a clear day!!
A nice picture of mom and dad!
Debi, if you're reading....this is for you.  This is part of the path you hike up on the route to the top.
If you turn your head sideways, you can probably see us on our way down the mountain.

During my planning period on Monday I drove mom and dad down the hill to catch the bus to the airport.  It was definitely an emotional day and I was reminded just how far away I am from my family.  I've spent the last week and a half recovering from all of the sightseeing...and a nasty cold.  Now the countdown until winter break really begins...12 weeks until I'm on a flight back to the States for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here...