BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Building Friendships & Seeing Sights

I feel as though I've packed an entire week's worth of events into two short days! Friday ended a great week of teaching...my physical science students put the finishing touches on their soda bottle rockets (t-minus two days until launch) and I ended a two week unit on cells with my awesome IGCSE kiddos who are now convinced that even cells are cool. Later that evening I attended our third D-Dong dinner, the second on the rooftop of our building. I have come to realize that living in D-building is essentially the same as living in a college dorm, except there are no roommates or shared bathrooms. Usually we are a group of nine single ladies, but last night we were all introduced to our newest member, Jason, who will have the tough task of being the lone male. Everyone brought fantastic food to share and we passed the evening hours discussing the highs and lows of the last several weeks, sharing stories from our Chusok holiday vacations, and talking about some building business (somehow I got nominated to be our building rep). Next month Alex is planning to take us to a crepe restaurant in Sinchon--I can't wait!

Although I was pretty tired from the week, I still managed to get up early today to join a group of teachers on a trip to the Korean Folk Village in Suwon, a city about an hour and a half from Seoul. We arrived before the crowds and set out to explore. The name of the place pretty well explains what you'll find there...remnants of the days of old in Korea. The experience is a bit like going to a mock pioneer settlement in the states. Right off, several of us decided to play dress-up and had semi-professional photos taken while dressed in traditional hanboks (this was my second time and much more enjoyable than the first--there was no sweating involved today!).

Windy and Edson in traditional wedding clothes (fitting as they just got married over the summer!)

Jo showing off her excellent posing skills

A snapshot version of my photo...stay tuned to see the professional results

Near the entrance to the village there is a huge prayer mound that is covered in what appear to be white ribbons. Upon closer inspection I discovered the ribbons were not ribbon at all, rather they are people's prayers and wishes written on handmade paper and tied to ropes that are strung around the mound. We thought it would be a good idea to add our wishes and prayers to the bunch, so Molly, Jacob, Allison, Grace, and me took our turn. Rob claims he wished for Keira Knightley:). I can't reveal my wish/prayer, but I hope it comes true!

The prayer mound

Tying up my prayer

Grace taking her turn...look at all of those prayers and wishes!

Our group dispersed to wander through traditional houses, gardens, businesses, and workshops which depicted life in Korea hundreds of years ago. From what I understand, some rural parts of Korea still operate using these simple processes to sustain life. Everyone reconnected at the tea house where some of the more daring folks chose beverages from the menu including one called double virility elixir. Hmmm....no thanks!

The early Koreans had totems too!

Samples of traditional roofing styles

That is a serious grain grinder!

Statues of little kimchi gods

A handmade kimchi pot

A lovely Korean student making her own clay pot--she was very excited to practice her English with me

Molly trying her hand with a mortar and pestle

Herb garden

Another traditional garden

Inside a workshop

Milling cotton

Brave tea drinkers...Jo, Joy, and Allison

Two hours into our visit, Barry herded us all toward the palace/jail exhibit (take a look at some of the young ones trying out the torture devices) before we sat down to enjoy the first performance of the day, a traditional farmer's dance. It was too difficult to capture this in photos, so I thought I'd give the video function of my camera another try. Check it out...

Gate into the courtyard, palace, and jail

The boys trying out the instruments of torture...I think the boy with the paddle is having a bit too much fun

Official meeting area

Crowd gathered for the farmer's dance

Allison, Joy, and I are part of the crowd!

A little taste of the farmer's dance

More fun dance moves

The tightrope walker had the day off so we opted for the equestrian show next and made our way to the riding arena. Men on horses combined incredible riding skills with acrobatics...I heard one of the moms in our group say, "That is just plain dangerous and stupid." Overall, the show was entertaining but the small Korean children who pushed me out of my viewing spot were not. Two of the boys were standing on the fence rails playing around and one of the boys just about went head first over the rail, kicking me in the face in the process. At that moment I wish I would have had the ability to summon some choice Korean words to let the boys know they were being naughty. No such luck--but I have decided to start taking Korean classes in November.



From the arena we walked over to a small enclosed plaza where a traditional wedding was to be performed. Today, we were the lucky attendants to a real wedding! Apparently the Folk Village is a posh place for Korean nuptuals, so we joined the family and friends in witnessing the union of a young Korean couple. The woman's hanbok was gorgeous--it had been hand embroidered in stunning colors. I had hoped to get a few photos of the event, but everyone else packed into the space had the same idea so I got as close as I could. Our group decided to move on before the ceremony ended...the food market near the end of the village was beckoning to us.
The wedding tent

Attendants in traditional costumes

The bride in her amazing hanbok, her face partially hidden from the groom

On our walk to the market I snapped photos of some interesting sights...one being a Haunted House (I mean really, what folk village would be complete without one?!). Everyone in the group tried different options for lunch, then spent a bit of time looking around the market at the souvenir stands. When I arrived in Korea I decided I was done being a typical tourist, which means that I'm done shopping for trinkets and t-shirts! I did find a beautiful piece of hand painted artwork depicting Korean flowers embedded in a scroll wall hanging. After some careful thought and price negotiation I bought it and the piece will soon be hanging somewhere in my apartment!

Ribbons in trees...

The Haunted House

A mask workshop

Finished products

Our lunch bunch

With just a little over an hour left in our visit, Myleah and I started to head back to the village entrance. This time we walked along the opposite side of the river which bisects the village into two halves. We crossed a couple of traditional (think rickety) bridges--one a single plank width with no rails and the other a "stone bridge" which required you to choose your next step carefully...one missed stone and you ended up in the river. Thankfully we made it safely back to our starting spot and spent the remaining time doing a bit more shopping and resting on the benches. By this point the village was packed with families taking advantage of "family day" at the folk village! That was our cue to head back to the bus and drive an hour and a half back to SFS.

The plank bridge

Serene setting

New friend

More totems

Traditional boat on the river

That's me ignoring the sign by the bridge...okay, not really! You really are allowed to cross the river on the stone bridge but not if you are old, infirmed, or pregnant (the sign's words, not mine).

That's where you end up if you fall--I'm living dangerously!

Some boys with a different idea on how to cross the river.

Almost across!

Hanbok clad scarecrow in a rice field

Autumn is here!



Bye folk village!

We made it back to the school just in time to catch the only home cross-country meet of the season. I have lots of students out for this year's team so I watched the varsity girls and boys compete. The kids did an amazing job on a tough course (SFS is notorious for having a difficult and very hilly trail section)! As the boys crossed the finish line I hurried home to grab dinner before leaving again to see the final night of the high school play.

The girls coming through the Korean gate

Early in the boys race

This year's fall production was Thorton Wilder's Our Town and the kids did an excellent job of pulling off a challenging production. I wasn't familiar with the story prior to seeing the play, but here's what I gathered. The play follows the life of the townspeople in a small New Hampshire town--the first act taught us about the dynamics of the town and it's residents, the second act follows the romance and marriage of two of the town's young people, and the third act details the death of the young woman and what becomes of a person in the afterlife. One of my students had the lead role and did a phenomenal job narrating the entire show. I also had several ninth graders with small parts--you could tell they were so proud of their accomplishment! Next up is the spring musical and the kids are already talking about auditions. By the time the final scene wrapped up at 9:30 I was ready for bed. It was a fun but really tiring day--tomorrow, rest and rocket launch preparations...

Sophie Sanderson showing off her groovy look during the play intermission.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say you were ready for bed....
    Looks like you had a busy, but fun day.
    Loved all your great pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts here...