BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Blossoming Soul

A year ago a crazy idea blossomed in my brain after a chance encounter on the Paris metro with three American teenagers. When I saw the giggly girls hop on the train, and listened as my aunt obtained key information about them including the fact that they were students at the American School of Paris, the lightbulb flicked on and the gears began turning. Forty-eight hours later I was stateside again and vigilantly searching the internet for information about teaching abroad. By January, my application was complete. Game on...

Less than three weeks ago I trekked to San Francisco to attend an international job fair. Secretly, I found comfort in knowing it would be nearly impossible to find a job that met my list of "must haves" in a location where I could happily spend the next two years of my teaching life. I traveled to San Francisco hoping for Europe, praying for Paris, and content with the notion of spending another year teaching in Spokane if this didn't happen. Perhaps it is at this point I should mention that I hate change. More than change, I despise moving. It was nothing short of a miracle that I ended up 370 miles from home five years ago. It was now time to face the reality that I was saying yes to the possibility of big changes and a big move. I went to San Francisco anyway.

When it came time to review the open positions I wasn't surprised to see that my "dream job" in Paris had been filled and that the list of schools I wanted to learn more about was short. I said no immediately to Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Dubai, Shanghai, Thailand, and a few others where I couldn't imagine spending two years. Of the schools that made the short-list, one position caught my eye: 9th and 10th grade integrated science at Seoul Foreign School. I dropped a resume and interview request in their mailbox and upon checking mine was surprised to see that they had already found me. "God, are you trying to tell me to explore this option?" The Seoul Foreign people were smart...in addition to their interview request, they provided a lovely recruiting DVD. I almost cried the first time I watched the recruiting video. This was my deja vu moment of the weekend. I felt these exact feelings before I realized God was paving the way for me to move to Spokane. After attending the Seoul Foreign info session, I knew I wanted an interview. I called my dad to ask him if he thought I had lost all sanity by considering a job in South Korea. He is logical, thoughtful, and solid, thus a good source to consult for an opinion. His lack of response was a definite indicator that he was not thrilled. Thankfully, he has warmed to the notion of visiting his only daughter in a very foreign country.

A week ago I officially said "Yes" to Seoul Foreign School. The change that I have so carefully avoided is now inevitable. In the last week I have learned more about South Korea than I could have ever imagined and I am excited by the possibilities. In the coming months, I suspect I will learn more about myself than I could have ever imagined too. The "game on" mentality is stronger now than when I began the search and there are many things to check off my beloved to-do lists before this move becomes a reality. What I have realized in the last few days is what I believe will keep me moving forward, facing the challenges I know will present themselves...now is the time for my blossoming soul to flourish. God is opening the garden gate for me and tilling the soil in Seoul, South Korea in order to provide a place for my roots to take hold. I'll let you know how His cultivation plan unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here...