BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Where to begin?

Since I last posted, the to-do list I mentioned has begun to grow. Each day I dutifully check the mailbox for an envelope from Seoul Foreign School that will contain hundreds of pages of reading, a stack of papers to be signed, and an official checklist that will help me prepare for the transition ahead. Being a pro-active individual, I've decided to get a jump start on the process (at the expense of going to bed on time, doing a little extra planning and grading, or working on my blasted Pro-Cert portfolio).

Right now I'm focusing on pulling together all of the paperwork that needs to be returned to Korea in order to get the ball rolling on the visa and alien registration process. It makes me chuckle that in a few months I'll be officially referred to as an alien, and I suppose I just might fit the title for the first several months of my new life abroad. Hopefully antennae will not sprout from my head and my skin will remain peachy, rather than turn a verdant shade as I learn to navigate a strange city and adapt to a new culture and language. A growing stack of documents has taken up residence on the ottoman in my living room ranging from a copy of my birth certificate and teaching license, to my original college diploma and an agreement that I will not partake in any sort of political action while abroad (I hear Korea has an excellent riot squad). I've also signed a housing agreement (no unrelated boys are allowed to sleep over), filled out an employment application, requested a copy of my criminal history (in case you were wondering, I'm clear), and signed up for a very extensive physical exam. After living through two years of what I've dubbed "medical hell" I was a little nervous about what the medical exam might reveal. On the upside, I find comfort in the fact that nearly every part of my body has been scoped, x-rayed, scanned, ultra-sounded, or subjected to an MRI, and I've given more than my fair share of blood and other fluids but you never know if there is something unknown lurking deep in the throes of my cellular being. Yesterday, my fears were alleviated and I received a clean bill of health. Praise God!

As the countdown continues, I need to find a way to strike a balance between life in the present sense and the move that is coming. While I want to spend hours on the Internet searching, reading, shopping, and preparing I must also focus my energy on planning creative and captivating lessons to engage my students, work on the enormous project required to earn my continuing teaching license, and continue to strengthen my relationships with friends and family before I put several thousand miles of distance between us. In looking ahead and planning for the big picture, I often overlook the small steps necessary to get there until the deadlines approach and the stress compounds. Perhaps this is where I can once again enlist my to-do list to start checking off the tasks of the here and now...I think it is also time to grab my study bible off the nightstand to feed my anxious soul. This is what first came to mind: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34. Thanks for the reminder, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here...